The COVID-19 pandemic in India is part of the worldwide pandemic of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The first case of COVID-19 in India, which originated from China, was reported on 30 January 2020. The Country went into a lockdown from the 24th of March with life literally coming to a standstill.
Bhoomika’s response to CrisisWatch Video – Food First initiative, Ration kit to migrant workers and daily wagers
Watch Video – Food First initiative, Cooked meal for migrant workers
SENIOR CITIZENS HELPLINE (March 2020 to June 2020)
Bhoomika set up a Helpline for Senior Citizens and Immunity compromised individuals with remote volunteer teams supported by field volunteers to make physical delivery where required, from March 2020 to June 2020. Groceries, Medicines, cooked food were delivered to citizens and Ambulance support was provided for patients on dialysis, chemotherapy etc to take them to hospitals.
FOOD FIRST (March 2020 to June 2020)
Ration Kits with essential provisions to support families for 15 days was provided to
- Migrant families living across Chennai.
- Migrant workers living in clusters on Project sites.
- Migrant population working in industries across Tiruvallur District.
Cooked Food was provided to migrant workers who did not have facilities to cook
- Migrant workers living in camps.
- Migrant workers living in lodges who had no income.
- Migrant workers returning home on trains.
Support to Frontline workers
- N95 Masks & PPE kits were provided from April 2020 to Government hospitals across Tamilnadu including ESI hospital KK Nagar, Kilpauk Medical College, Karur Government Medical College Hospital, Government Villupuram Medical College, CSI Kalyani Hospital etc.
- Face Guards were provided to Police Departments in Chennai and Thiruvallur District & to Conservancy workers in some zones of Chennai.
- Hygiene Kits were provided to conservancy workers, residents in vulnerable areas, door to door healthcare workers.
Support to Hospitals
Bhoomika provided the following to hospitals like CSI Kalayani Hospital, VHS Adyar, Chennai.
- Hospital furniture : to upgrade facility and increase capacity.
- Medical equipments like Ventilators, BiPaP, Multipara monitors, HiFlo Oxyflo units, Pulse oximeters.
- Purchase of farmer produce like red pumpkins, cabbages etc to facilitate offtake of cultivated products from select farmers. These were subsequently distributed across Chennai to vulnerable communities.
- Provision of Cashew nut cracking units to daily wage earners in Cuddalore district to provide a sustainable livelihood.
- 100 Weavers initiative.
READ MORE – Click on COVID-19 Livelihood Restoration to see our rehabilitation efforts.
- A remote learning program for government school children. Project “Learn with Me”.
READ MORE – Click on COVID-19 Learn With Me to see our education support.